Well, it’s been a weird week and I haven’t posted much, but here are a few photos of a new type of binding that I recently tried, called an unsupported blanket stitch binding. This project was interesting because it used five different strings of thread instead of one single long one, which is what I’ve gotten used to using. The added color variety was wonderful, but overall I wasn’t really happy with the way this book turned out. It looks neat, but it just feels flimsy. This is probably my own fault!
In true me-form, I made some adjustments to the project before I even tried it the correct way… One adjustment was accidental. I SHOULD have pierced each cover station with a single hole, but I turned my brain off and double pierced them all, so I had to improvise the stitch and do another loop around the cover. This didn’t seem like it would make the whole book unsteady, but maybe it did…
My second adjustment was making the middle stitch longer than recommended. I wanted to center it between the other stitching, but this may have been a mistake. The longer stitch doesn’t seem as sturdy as the shorter ones are.
I am really happy with the cover. I learned how to turn normal cloth into bookbinding cloth by attaching it to HeatnBond UltraHold. It turned out great! This greatly expands cover possibilities… 🙂
Handmade Monday 2015 will revolve around paper, Paper, PAPER! I have cards and boxes to make, lettering to practice, and most of all handmade books to bind. So, if you share my strange addiction to paper, if pens and ink make your heart wink and flutter, if doodling makes you drool, then Handmade Monday posts were written just for you! Browse, enjoy, share your suggestions, and let me know what creative fun you’re up too as well!